Sunday, July 31, 2011

Too distracted to make sense...

So, it appears I  haven't posted since the 17th, but I thought it was longer than that so I don't feel too "guilty"....for lack of a better word.

At any rate, I was sitting down with some of my saved Trust30 challenge prompts, but I just couldn't really wrap my mind around ANY of them tonight!  This day was pretty unproductive and I'm mad at myself for not getting more accomplished.  I didn't really have any set projects or chores that HAD to be completed, but I got up late, ran an errand to the grocery store, came back home and feel asleep until 5pm.  Guess I needed the rest, but it just feels like a waste of a Sunday to me. Oh well.

On a positive note, I had a job interview last week and I have another one coming up tomorrow after work.  The job I interviewed for last week was a fantastic fit for me.  It's an early interventionist position (E/I for all your Special Ed. folks out there) with a children's home.  Part of what they do is provide services to low income families and their children in the Columbia area for children ages birth to 5.  The director was AMAZING and the work I would be doing would allow me to really utilize my education, skills and talents.  The interview went well and some follow up that occurred after it gave me a positive indication that I could very well get this position.  I'm hoping to know something tomorrow.  I was very blessed to have one of my best friends Caitlin Merck, my second mother, Karen Zimmerman, and my co-worker, Aleta McKinney to write references for me which they all emailed in the same day I had the interview.  I'm very blessed indeed! <3

The job interview tomorrow I think is going to be a little more intense, and the position itself does not pay much compared to the job I applied for last week.  However, either job would be a blessing as the pay would be increased and my stress level, decreased.  

I am ready to move on from my current job, primarily because I do not feel appreciated at all where I am.  I'm not saying I need a pat on the back every 5 minutes but it is nice to be at least validated on occasion and not just berated for some tiny thing that your boss simply didn't like because she was in a mood that day.  

I recently received a compliment from boss about how well I was monitoring my class of 3 year olds on the playground.  I really didn't know how to respond to her and it occurred to me that this was the first compliment/validation I had received from her the ENTIRE time I have worked there, which has been 1.5 years!  Ridiculous.  So while I have been extremely grateful to have this job during such a hard time in our economy, and while I have loved working with some wonderful children and fellow teachers.....all the other factors weigh more and I am truly hoping this new job that I am waiting to hear back from is it......my ticket out of this current job that beats me down and makes me question my self worth on a regular basis.  I'm ready to work somewhere that I feel a sense of accomplishment each day and where at least sometimes, I am told "well done." 

Wish me luck! I will certainly be letting you know if I get the job.  

Hopefully tomorrow I will have some more words to share.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up too hard, babe. (I totally empathize cause I do it too!)
    It will all come together and I really think that big wonderful changes are about to take place for you. I am so proud of you and love you so much, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know the job situation is tough and stressful, but we're in a field where it is not easy to find a good job right now. keep pushing at it and you'll find something!

    i'm in the middle of possibly having to find something else due to low enrollment at my school (last in, first out!) so i'm right there with you. don't lose heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Caitlin.....I'm sure trying babe, and I think you are very correct on all counts. I haven't heard anything yet BUT I'm hoping to have a yes or no answer by Friday. The waiting game is what kills me! lol - Love you tons darling!!!!!

    @Steph.....doesn't it just make you crazy how when we were in undergrad we were told "don't worry, if you are a teacher you will ALWAYS have a job"....and now look at our poor field. It's just crazy. I can't believe after you JUST got that job you might be out of it already?! That's horrible! I know you are doing such a fantastic job with those kids and that school is SO lucky to have you. Too bad people can't open their eyes and see that "last one in, first one out" means they often times loose the BEST people! My husband was employed by Honeywell for a MONTH last year on a NASA project, and then there was a budget cut to the project and the same thing happened to him. He was the last on in....enough said. He's been unemployed ever since. I've had two interviews so that's a big positive. Keep your chin up and stay strong too. There's a good place for good teachers like us...we just have to find it. Thanks for the support and encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete